Saturday, April 5, 2008

Music

Recently I was able to speak at our youth standards night on the topic of music. I love having the opportunity to speak because I feel like I can receive inspiration that I probably wouldn't other wise. On this night I have to confess that it snuck up on me and I was not well prepared so I was very dependant on the spirit. Gratefully God is very generous and blesses us with his spirit many times when we probably don't deserve it. I said one thing that night that I have thought about many times since. I'm sure it was as much for me as anyone there.

I said, "I'm sure no one in here would even think of saying many of the things we say while singing a long to the songs we listen to. Most of us are good about avoiding songs that have cursing in them or talk directly about sex, but we should be raising the bar so that we are not being influenced by songs that are contrary to the doctrines of the church in any way."

The Bon Jovi song Its My life comes to mind as a prime example. Here is part of the Chorus: It's my life
It's now or never
I ain't gonna live forever
I just want to live while I'm alive

I can find at least 4 things in just that much that are contrary to very simple gospel doctrines and yet I have sang those lyrics many times. There is tons of wonderful music out there. I am challenging myself to only listen to the very best. Wish me luck.

No comments: